This position is located in the Office of Budget and Financial Management. The Accounting Officer serves as the Deputy Chief for Financial Operations leading and managing Financial Management Accounting and Policy activities to ensure the provision of accounting and financial management data and analysis which meets the needs of a variety of conditions, operating requirements, programs and systems.
Learn more about this agency
Duties include but are not limited to the following:
- Directs and oversees the program execution for all appropriations.
- Manages the analysis/reporting requirements, work processes, accounting systems, structure, and data produced to resolve significant accounting and management problems.
- Supervises staff in the receipt and preparation of reports for obligations expenses and disbursements including trend analysis and variance analysis for problem areas.
- Provides guidance, direction and policy decisions necessary to provide finance, accounting and systems services.
- Oversees appropriations and customer accounting, billing, accounting surveillance and quality assurance programs entitlements, and accounts payable policies.
This is a Competitive Service position; additional positions maybe filled from this announcement within 90 days of certificate issuance.
Conditions of Employment
- You must be a U.S. Citizen or National.
- You must complete a background investigation, credit check, and drug test.
- Selective Service Registration is required, as applicable.
- Moving and Relocation Expenses are not authorized.
- Resume and supporting documents (See How To Apply section).
- A one year probationary period may be required, if not already met.
- Must be a Current DOJ Employee and applicants must meet applicable time-in-grade requirements for consideration.
- Applicants must meet all qualifications and eligibility requirements by the closing date of the announcement.
In order to qualify for the Accounting Officer position, you must meet the following time in grade requirements and minimum qualifications:
TIME-IN-GRADE REQUIREMENTS: Merit promotion applicants must meet applicable time-in-grade requirements to be considered eligible. One year at the GS-13 level is required to meet the time-in-grade requirements for the GS-14 level. (Please submit your SF-50 that shows Time-in-Grade eligibility and reflects your title, series, and grade. If your eligibility for both merit promotion and/or time-in-grade cannot be determined, your application will be rated ineligible. Please see Required Documents for additional information). Time-in-grade requirements also apply to VEOA applicants having held a GS position in the past year.
Applicants must possess a bachelor’s degree in accounting; or a degree in a related field such as business administration, finance, or public administration that included or was supplemented by 24 semester hours in accounting (and/or auditing). The 24 hours may include up to 6 hours of credit in business law.
Applicants must possess at least 4 years of experience in accounting, or an equivalent combination of accounting experience, college-level education, and training that provided professional accounting knowledge. Your background must also include ONE of the following: 1) 24 semester hours in accounting or auditing courses of appropriate type and quality (which can include up to 6 hours of Business Law); 2) A certificate as Certified Public Accountant or a Certified Internal Auditor, obtained through written examination; or 3) Completion of the requirements for a degree that included substantial course work in accounting or auditing, e.g., 15 semester hours, but that does not fully satisfy the 24-semester-hour requirement of paragraph A, provided that (a) the applicant has successfully worked at the full-performance level in accounting, auditing, or a related field, e.g., valuation engineering or financial institution examining; (b) a panel of at least two higher level professional accountants or auditors have determined that the applicant has demonstrated a good knowledge of accounting and of related and underlying fields that equal in breadth, depth, currency, and level of advancement that which is normally associated with successful completion of the 4-year course of study described in paragraph A; and (c) except for literal nonconformance to the requirement of 24 semester hours in accounting, the applicant’s education, training, and experience fully meet the specified requirements.
NOTE: Applicants must submit a copy of their transcripts for verification.
Applicants must have at least one or more full-time years (12-months) of specialized work experience, equivalent to at least the GS-13 grade level in the Federal service, performing ALL the following duties:
- Directing and monitoring, or assisting in directing and monitoring, operations of a finance division;
- Managing a quality assurance program to determine compliance with professional accounting and auditing standards or policies and procedures;
- Advising management on cost accounting systems, techniques or costing methodologies for information or decision support purposes; AND
- Supervising or leading employees involved in the application of accounting principles, theories, concepts and/or practices to a variety of problems.
(Your resume must CLEARLY demonstrate this experience)
Applicants must meet all qualifications and eligibility requirements by the closing date of the announcement.
IN DESCRIBING YOUR EXPERIENCE, PLEASE BE CLEAR AND SPECIFIC. WE MAY NOT MAKE ASSUMPTIONS REGARDING YOUR EXPERIENCE. If your resume does not support your questionnaire answers, we will not allow credit for your response(s).
For more information on the qualifications for this position, click here .
ARE YOU USING EDUCATION TO QUALIFY: Education must be accredited by an accredited institution recognized by the U.S. Department of Education in order for it to be credited towards qualifications (particularly positions with a positive education requirement). You MUST provide transcripts or other documentation to support your educational claims. Applicants can verify accreditation by clicking here . All education claimed by applicants will be verified by the appointing agency accordingly. (Note: If you are selected for this position based on education, an official transcript will be required, prior to your first day.) You must meet all qualification requirements by the closing date of this announcement.
SPECIAL INSTRUCTIONS FOR FOREIGN EDUCATION: If you are using education completed in foreign colleges or universities to meet the qualification requirements, you must show that the education credentials have been evaluated by a private organization that specializes in interpretation of foreign education programs and such education has been deemed equivalent to that gained in an accredited U.S. education program; or full credit has been given for the courses at a U.S. accredited college or university. For further information, click here .
Translated transcripts are required.
This position is open to Current DOJ Employees in the Competitive Service with Career or Career Conditional Tenure. Your SF-50 must reflect current employment with DOJ and career/career-conditional tenure (Tenure field is 1 or 2); AND status in the competitive service (Position Occupied field is 1).
How You Will Be Evaluated
You will be evaluated for this job based on how well you meet the qualifications above.
Applicants applying under merit promotion procedures will be rated in accordance with the EOIR’s Merit Staffing plan. Once the application process is complete, your resume and supporting documentation will be used to determine whether you meet the job qualifications listed in this announcement. If you are minimally qualified for this job, your resume and supporting documentation will be compared to your responses on the Assessment Questionnaire. If you rate yourself higher than is supported by your application materials, your responses may be adjusted and/or you may be excluded from consideration for this job If you are found to be among the top candidates, you will be referred to the selecting official for employment consideration.
You will be rated based on the following knowledge, skills, abilities (KSAs) or competencies:
- Financial Management
- Managing Human Resources
- Oral Communication
NOTE : In order to be rated as meeting the minimum qualifications, we must be able to determine from your application package that you have the education and/or specialized experience that is required. Your resume MUST contain your full name, address, phone number, and the following employment information:
- Employer name and location for each position held.
- From and to dates (MM/YY-MM/YY or from MM/YY to “present”) for each position held. The month and year is required to fully credit your time.
- For part-time positions, please include number of hours worked per week, positions that do not include this information will be assumed as full-time (40 hours a week).
- Grade levels held for each federal position.
- Detailed descriptions of experience under each position held. (Applicants must provide specific supporting examples to show that they meet the qualifications of the position shown in the announcement.)
- Any submitted documents not required or requested for this vacancy will not be considered (i.e. training certificates, case filings, letter of recommendations, etc.).
(ALL INFORMATION IS SUBJECT TO VERIFICATION PRIOR TO FINAL SELECTION.)
Background checks and security clearance
Drug test required
Position sensitivity and risk
High Risk (HR)
Trust determination process
Credentialing , Suitability/Fitness
To apply for this position, you must provide a complete Application Package by the closing date of this announcement, which includes:
1. Your Resume showing relevant experience; cover letter optional. (Please see the How You Will Be Evaluated section)
2. A complete Assessment Questionnaire.
3. SF-50 reflecting current employment and proof of status with the DOJ. The SF-50 must show you are a current DOJ employee. Must provide your most recent non-award Notification of Personnel Action (SF-50) showing you are in the competitive service (block 24 must contain a 1 or 2 and block 34 must contain a 1), highest grade held (and promotion potential) on a permanent basis, position title (block 15), series, grade and step (blocks 17, 18 & 19), and organization of record (block 22). If your current grade is not your highest permanent grade, submit an additional SF-50 showing your highest grade. If you are a current temporary/term employee who previously held a status Federal position, you need to submit your SF-50 which shows your eligibility to be considered. Examples of qualifying SF-50s: Promotion, WIG, new appointment, and SF-50s dated more than one year. You may have to submit multiple SF-50s. If your eligibility for both merit promotion and/or time-in-grade cannot be determined, your application will be rated ineligible. Must be uploaded and submitted with your application packaged by the closing date of the announcement.
4. Transcripts, if qualifying based on education. (Must include your name, college name and address, courses, dates attended, major and degree, cumulative grade point average (GPA), any honors received, and date the degree was awarded/conferred.)
5. Other Supporting Documents, if applicable to you.
- Surplus or displaced employees eligible for CTAP priority must provide: proof of eligibility (RIF separation notice, notice of proposed removal for declining a transfer of function or directed reassignment to another commuting area, notice of disability annuity termination), most recent performance appraisal, SF-50 documenting separation (as applicable), and your most recent SF-50 noting position, grade level, full performance level, and duty location with your application.
Note: Multiple selections may be made from this announcement. Salaries above are an approximation.
If you are relying on your education to meet qualification requirements:
Education must be accredited by an accrediting institution recognized by the U.S. Department of Education in order for it to be credited towards qualifications. Therefore, provide only the attendance and/or degrees from schools accredited by accrediting institutions recognized by the U.S. Department of Education .
Failure to provide all of the required information as stated in this vacancy announcement may result in an ineligible rating or may affect the overall rating.